I really can’t help but to wonder why “lemon blueberry” isn’t a combination that you see more often– because it’s delicious.
Baking with whole blueberries is tricky– if the batter is too runny, berries generally sink to the bottom instead of being nicely distributed throughout. Though when the batter is thicker, the texture of the cake also usually becomes more dense. Full disclaimer: this batter tends to be on the runnier side, but some of the blueberries managed to stay in suspension. And the light airy texture of these cupcakes is amazing!
PREP TIME: COOK TIME: TOTAL TIME: 50 min YIELD:
- 8 egg whites
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 tbsp water
- 3-4 tbsp lemon zest (requires 2-3 lemons)
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, divided
- Preheat oven to 325 F, and prepare muffin tins by lining with cupcake wrappers.
- Whisk egg whites on high until stiff peaks form, gradually adding in 1/4 cup white sugar. Set aside.
- Combine flour, remaining sugar, baking powder and salt in separate bowl and also set aside.
- Beat together egg yolks, canola oil, water, lemon zest, lemon juice until combined. Gradually add in flour mixture and mix , beat on medium just until smooth.
- Carefully fold in eggs whites to the batter, then add blueberries, making sure not to overmix.
- Spoon batter into cupcake wrappers and place in preheated oven. Bake 20 min or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Frost with your favourite cream cheese frosting and enjoy!