Making your own breakfast fruit toppings may seem intimidating, but it’s actually really easy. I typically prefer to make my own rather than buying the stuff in a bottle, namely because then I’m able to control how much sugar goes into it. It’s also a good way to use up berries that are looking a tad over-ripe or have been sitting in the fridge a bit too long.
PREP TIME: COOK TIME: TOTAL TIME: 20 min YIELD: 1 cup
- 2 heaping cups of strawberries, sliced 1/4″ thick
- 1/2 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Thoroughly wash, then hull and slice up strawberries.
- Add strawberry slices, orange juice, vanilla, and sugar to sauce pan.
- Over medium heat, bring to boil then reduce to low-medium and allow the mixture to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens slightly and strawberries soften.
- Remove from heat, and using a hand-immersion blender (carefully, because the mixture is HOT) purée until smooth, or if you prefer your sauce to have a chunky texture, just purée slightly or avoid this step all together.
- Allow the sauce to sit for 5 minutes or so, then serve warm with pancakes, waffles, oven pancakes, or french toast.